This is the place to explore all aspects of Utah's Craft Brewing scene.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
kent

PostSubject: Re: Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion   Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:57 pm

I'm still looking for Ancho peppers. I'll probably rack it over this weekend. Any suggestions for stores? Does Rico still sell ingredients and such at the 8th south 5th east location?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rickyhansing

PostSubject: Re: Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion   Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:41 pm

Kent,

I decided to go full Chipotle on my stout. I let it sit on it for 5 days and already racked it off. It is tasting pretty damned good. I might bottle in the next week or two. It is REALLY smoky and has a nice pepper aftertaste. I didn't end up using my Anchos, they are dried and I picked them up at the smiths. You are welcomed to them if you want them. I forget if Rico still sells raw ingredients. My brew buddie lives one block from there, so I'll ask him.

We should get together and taste each others batches and figure out how we're going to enter this. I can just see the form: "Brewers: Ricky, his brew buddie Quinn, Kent, Mike, Carlos and some other people who made comments on a website." Just to give them shit on the award sheet I hope we win. Ha.

---Ricky Hansing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://foxdragonkiwi@blogspot.com
kent

PostSubject: Re: Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion   Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:28 pm

Rick, I ended up going with strait chipotle too. I'll bottle next week. Let's see if we can all get together in a couple weeks and do some tasting. I can probably host if people don't mind driving to Sandy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kent

PostSubject: Re: Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion   Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:35 pm

Plus if people come out they can taste my un-carbonated Christmas barley wine and figure out what's wrong with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rickyhansing

PostSubject: Re: Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion   Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:26 pm

Kent,

Sounds like fun, I work in Sandy anyway so it would be not trouble. I bottled mine on Tuesday, so it should be carbonated in a bit. I'd love to try your still barley wine, I doubt I would have any clue as to why it is uncarbonated, but I'll sure as hell drink it.

How did the peppering take to your beer Kent? And where did you end up getting your peppers?
Back to top Go down
kent

PostSubject: Re: Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion   Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:37 am

I actually ended up using Chipotle's as well. I just couldn't find any good ancho's. It's been on the peppers for 3 days now and I'll bottle it this weekend.

Have you tasted yours yet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rickyhansing

PostSubject: Re: Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion   Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:03 pm

I did taste mine right before bottling. I amped the ABV a little to compliment the spice to 7 -7 1/2% and so it came out really smokey, with a slight heat that after a few sips really starts to sneak up on ya. I was hoping to find some Chipotle that wasn't dried but couldn't find it. Did you check out Rico's? After it bottle conditions and carbonates I'm going to have to really give it a taste and see how it's doing. The aroma when bottling it was awesome, spicy and smoky with just a touch of Chocolate.

How about your version, have you dipped in the fermentor yet?
Back to top Go down
kent

PostSubject: Re: Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion   Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:44 pm

I didn't make it to Rico's. I found some dried ones at Whole Foods.

I tasted it as I put it on the peppers but haven't tried it since. The smell though was really good. Very smoky maybe a little less chocolate than I was hoping for but not bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikey
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion   Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:36 pm

Can't wait to try all three versions. You guys are really making my mouth water!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://utahbeer.forumotions.net
rickyhansing

PostSubject: Re: Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion   Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:19 pm

Whole foods eah? That would have been a good idea, for some reason I didn't stop in there, oh well. I'm getting pretty thirsty also, I can't wait to try your version Kent. Don't worry Mike, you'll get your share Smile
Back to top Go down
kent

PostSubject: Re: Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion   Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:19 pm

Okay everything is bottled. Due to some remodeling that's been going on it ended up sitting on the peppers for two and a half weeks. I don't know about yours Rick but this thing has some spice to it. I'm actually hoping for a little mellowing before you guys taste it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rickyhansing

PostSubject: Re: Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion   Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:07 pm

Kent,

Two and a Half Weeks on the peppers? Wow, that should really add some kick. Mine is pretty damned spicy also. My brewbuddie thinks I under-spiced it, but by the end of a beer it starts to get pretty warm. I don't know if capsicum mellows much or not, but either way I'm looking forward to giving your a sip.

---Ricky
Back to top Go down
kent

PostSubject: Re: Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion   Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:55 am

I'm hoping the carbonation might cut the heat a bit. It's really quite tasty and has a nice level of smoke to it. I think you'll enjoy it.

My Ruination clone also turned out really nice. Maybe a bit high on carbonation but all in all it's good. We'll try that one too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kent

PostSubject: Re: Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion   Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:16 am

Okay I think mine is ready for a tasting. Ricky how's yours?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rickyhansing

PostSubject: Re: Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion   Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:21 pm

Kent,

Mine is ready for a test also. When and where?
Back to top Go down
kent

PostSubject: Re: Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion   Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:31 am

Well we can do it at my house but I am way out south. I'm open to any ideas. Too bad the bayou and beernut aren't an option.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kent

PostSubject: Re: Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion   Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:45 am

I just noticed it was getting down to the wire. Entries need to be in by the 15th. Is everyone okay if we submit before a group tasting? I was going to submit it under "The Utah Beer Blog Folk" or something along those lines. Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rickyhansing

PostSubject: Re: Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion   Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:55 pm

Kent,

Just enter it under your name, we all know who helped with the idea. I'll do the same. I bet the judges will think it's pretty funny getting at least two near identical entries. By the way, my brew buddie wanted to name the beer "Toofless Stout" after that "How to train your dragon" movie, and he never suggests titles so I went with it. So yeah, a little different than "Mole Stout" like I was thinking.

As for meeting somewhere to swap samples, I'm fine with whatever. I am trying to think of a place that would be fine with us sampling stuff. Maybe a coffee shop that is permissive, or a public park? I am perfectly fine with going to someones house also. I live west of downtown in Rose Park. Anyway, I can't wait to try it!

---Ricky H.
Back to top Go down
rickyhansing

PostSubject: Re: Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion   Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:21 pm

Kent,

I'll bring a few extra bottles to the reception for the brewoff. We should do some exchanging there, even though they won't let us drink it there.
Back to top Go down
kent

PostSubject: Re: Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion   Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Sounds like a good idea. I'll do the same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion   

Back to top Go down

Utah Beer Forum brew-off recipe discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2