This is the place to explore all aspects of Utah's Craft Brewing scene.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

beerbelly42

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ed

PostSubject: beerbelly42   Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:13 am

Hey man, thanks again for the beers. Thought I'd just make a thread to post a little feedback -- when I get around to trying them. Anyone else can join in if they'd like, of course...

So I'm downing this IPA pretty fast -- hope it's not super high ABV Wink

Really nice hop and malt aroma. The bitterness is there, but not over-the-top; just about right. A lot of hop flavor, but also balanced with some good grainy and caramel malt. Maybe getting a little Diacetyl -- or maybe it's just from the malt? I'm not an expert on that, so I wanted to ask what you think. That's kind of nit-picky though; I'll file this one under "I'd buy it".

Am I tasting some Centennial? Just curious...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikey
Admin

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:23 am

Good Idea, Ed. I'll post some thoughts when I try them. Thanks for the beers, all!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://utahbeer.forumotions.net
beerbelly42

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:44 pm

Ed,

Thanks for the feedback. Im glad you enjoyed the IPA.

Its not too bad on ABV just 7.5% Very Happy

That is Centennial your picking up that is the main Dry Hop. Most of the bittering, flavor, and aroma were Simcoe and Columbus.

I am really looking forward to the Saison but im saving that for the weekend.

Thanks again for filling the whole in my Uinta barley wine collection. Hopefully the next beer tatsing get together, probably the holiday tasting I can break out some of the old vintages and we can all do a small vertical.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ed

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:48 pm

Sounds good...

Let me know what you think of the Saison. Don't be gentle Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kent

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:59 pm

I apologize for not remembering who's this was, but the EPA (written in red on the cap) was awesome. The freshest burst of hops hits your nose when you pour that thing out. Nicely balanced but definitely hop forward. Very well done I could drink that by the gallon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ed

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:03 am

Cool, glad you liked it.

That one was an experiment: Used a light amount of bittering hops, and no more hops in the boil. Then added a bunch when the wort had chilled to about 160° -- plus some dry-hops. I think that brought out a pretty nice character...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beerbelly42

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:35 pm

Ed,

I have to agree with Kent, the EPA was a great beer. Huge hop aroma and flavor really clean and crisp. I did pick up some mintiness. Curious if that was hop derived northern brewer maybe?

Anyway with how hot it was yesterday coming inside and grabbing that out of the fridge was awesome.

Ricky,

I also ended up with one of your Oatmeal Stouts. The thing just looked perfect dark black with a large tan head that just stayed. It also laced the glass nicley. The mouthfeel was excatly how it should be and left that nice silkiness on the palate in the finish. Well Done.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ed

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:00 pm

Awesome. That's interesting about the mint. Hadn't noticed any... I'll have to look for it next time. Used Magnum for bittering; the post-boil and dry-hops were Amarillo and Centennial, 50/50.

Speaking of the heat: Think I'm going to wait a week or two to check out Ricky's stout. Maybe a little longer for the Imperial.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rickyhansing

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:07 am

beerbelly42,

Thanks for the comments. I ran out of stuff to trade and kinda walked away when you were showing up, sorry. I'll try not to be rude next time and stay and chat. As for the trades, I've been a looser and have been working a bit too hard (beer fest tonight included) to try the trades yet, but when I do I'll let y'all know.

Ed, I'm with you on the hot weather and stouts... not the best idea. Quinn and I are planning on re-doing a few of our beers in the next week or so, but the idea of standing over a boil in this heat makes me want to kill myself. Thank goodness I work in a nice air conditioned business, I see the fellows who are working on the side of the road and know they aren't getting paid enough.

---Ricky
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://foxdragonkiwi@blogspot.com
Ed

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:26 pm

I hear you. I pussed out on making a batch last week, knowing we have some cooler weather coming up...

Last edited by Ed on Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ed

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:29 pm

So this is idiotic... but I opened the Barleywine, for some reason thinking it was a Berliner Weisse, with the bottle labeled "AB" being the Barleywine. Now that I'm thinking about it, pretty sure you said that's a brown... Anyway:

Not an expert on this style by any means, but this is really tasty. There's a prominent sweetness at first, but it's well balanced with the bitterness. Nice malt complexity: a lot of caramel, some grain, and maybe a little maple-ish flavor, even? No alcohol in the flavor, but I get some of that “warming” effect, which is awesome in a high-gravity style (and would be even better if it wasn’t 80° In my house, ha)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beerbelly42

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:54 pm

Ed,

Sorry I should have come up with a better legend for my bottle caps. Im glad you enjoyed the Barleywine even if it was 80 degrees.

I tried your Dry Hopped Saison this weekend, I wish I would have taken better notes. Wow!!! that was really an awesome beer so much that it inspired me to make my first real Saison. (I did a petite lavendar Saison for the wife before but that doesnt count). I did a Citra Saison. I cant help but want to dry hop it as well. Thanks again for the beers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JRL

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:39 am

That is crazy I just did the Citra Saison out of the Zymurgy magazine. I would love to trade a bottle when its all finished.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ed

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:42 am

That sounds awesome. I was going to use Citra in that Saison (with Centennial), but it wasn't available in the spring. Glad you liked it... I think it could use a little more malt character -- but only enough to keep it in the background or whatever.

So the Brown Ale was tasty. The hop and malt flavors go really well together. Might have to try something like that, since my attempts at a "hoppy Porter" have left something to be desired. Was that one the "Janet's Brown" recipe? I thought that's what Crossley said when he read your e-mail Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beerbelly42

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:15 pm

JRL wrote:
That is crazy I just did the Citra Saison out of the Zymurgy magazine. I would love to trade a bottle when its all finished.

Sounds good I will let you know when its done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beerbelly42

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:18 pm

Ed wrote:

So the Brown Ale was tasty. The hop and malt flavors go really well together. Might have to try something like that, since my attempts at a "hoppy Porter" have left something to be desired. Was that one the "Janet's Brown" recipe? I thought that's what Crossley said when he read your e-mail Wink

Yes it was based on Tasty's Janets Brown Recipe with a couple hop substitutions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ed

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:45 pm

Cool. Nice work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ed

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:54 am

So I didn’t want to sit on anything named 'IPA' for too long, so I cracked this open and... Holy crap, man. Lots of fruity and doughy aroma, and a lot of fruity and spicy flavor (from the hops -- but I’d assume the yeast, too) combined with some cereal-ish and sort of sweet malt flavors. This is one of those beers that is balanced in some ways, unbalanced in other (good) ways. Really good stuff.

So what yeast strain did you use on this one?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beerbelly42

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:35 pm

I am assuming you are talking about the Belgian IPA cap code BIPA. I myself really enjoy this beer. I took my American IPA recipe and fermented it with a belgian Yeast WLP500 Trappist Ale. Its awesome to see how much a yeast strain can effect a beer. I am glad you enjoyed it. I am getting ready to brew this up again shortly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ed

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:32 pm

Yeah, the Belgian IPA. You'd think I was drinking or something Wink

I made an Extra Pale with a Belgian strain a while back. And you're right -- it's crazy how much different the malt flavor was, using grains I was pretty familiar with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ed

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:10 pm

Nice job on the DIPA. Really tasty and interesting hop flavor/aroma. Spicy and fruity... What hops did you use for late/dry hopping?

It's really well balanced, too; malt backbone is substantial, but not too sweet or heavy. The firm bitterness works really well, too...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beerbelly42

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:33 pm

Citra throughout the boil. late hops were citra and amarillo 2oz of citra and 1 oz of amarillo at flameout. Then i double dryhopped 2 oz of citra and 1 oz of amarillo for the first charge for 5 days and then moved to secondary and hit it with another 2 oz of citra. All for a 5 gal batch. I thought it was quit drinkable for a 9% beer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ed

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:29 pm

Yeah, definitely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ed

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:50 pm

Drinking the tasty Belgian IPA... Really nice, complex flavors -- but I keep identifying apricot in there. Do you get that at all? And what yeast did you go with?

I've been big in to Belgian yeasts combined with "West Coast" flavor and aroma hops lately. I realize we all have different palates, but it still weirds me out to hear people say things like "they don't play nicely together".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beerbelly42

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:02 pm

Ill revisit it and see if i pick up apricot. I get a lot of Juicy fruit bubblegum in the aroma. I went with White Labs WLP500 Trappist Ale for the yeast.

You know the very first Belgian IPA I ever had, I have to admit I wasn't a huge fan. Then I was in Chicago and a Brewery called Haymarket let me sample one and I absolutley loved it. I immediately made one that weekend and have been tweeking it since. I think I have it pretty dialed in for what I am looking for in a Belgo-American IPA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: beerbelly42   

Back to top Go down

beerbelly42
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Utah Beer Forum :: Home Brewing :: General Brewing-
Jump to: